Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What I'm Learning

I am not really in a writing mood right now, but I am in a list-making mood.  And an honesty mood.  Since I doubt you are interested in reading my grocery and errand lists, I am going to share a (slightly) more interesting list.  Here are some things I'm learning about myself, others and life in general:

1. I am indeed learning without being in graduate school.  I am still struggling with feelings of regret and insecurity about not having a master's degree (and the career to whitch it hypothetically leads), but I am still reading, seeking knowledge and interacting with people who enrich and increase my understanding of and appreciation for life.

2. Holding grudges holds you back.  Forgive yourself and others so you can move on with your life.

3. You get out what you put in.  Don't expect others to include you in things if you never include them in things.  Relationships are built on mutual initiative and inclusion.

4. Try to keep the seriousness/silliness ratio around 40/60.  Smiling and laughing is always more attractive than scowling.  More importantly, it makes you feel better.

5. We all feel alone sometimes.  Thinking you are always the only one who is alone is extremely self-centered.  If you need help to get rid of this feeling, get it.  And then join the rest of us crazy loners as we fumble around, shaking hands and making small talk because the awkwardness always outweighs the loneliness.

6. The harder you fight for control, the more it will elude you.  That said, some things are worth fighting for.

7. The best antidote for worrying about yourself is helping other people.  In fact, it is probably the best antidote for any emotional ailment.

8. Be generous with your time and money, but only to the point where it feels comfortable.  Do not give grudgingly; if you do, the gift has no value.

9. If you are worried about what others think of you, recognize that they rarely, if ever, do.  I do not say this cynically; it's just the truth.

10. To end with the most cliche of all cliches, life is short and uncertain.  We are fragile and at the mercy of forces beyond our control.  What we can control is how we treat ourselves, each other and our planet.  I'm learning to treat these things with a little more love.  Thank you to those of you who are doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment