Tuesday, April 26, 2011

30 Before 30

Hello readers!  I'm doing something a little different for this post, but I think it still ties in with my overall goal for this blog: to help myself and (hopefully) others negotiate sensitivity with the pressures that accompany ambition.  We should not allow our sensitivity to prevent us from pursuing our goals.  Half of the battle is knowing what you want to accomplish; that's where the bucket list comes in.  My roommate Maggie and I decided to make lists of 30 things we want to accomplish by the time we're 30; that gives both of us about six years.  The key to making a list like this is to take it seriously but not too seriously.  I would recommend choosing some things you know you can accomplish and some things you would love to accomplish regardless of their feasibility.  I hope that you enjoy my list and Maggie's list (link is below), and I especially hope that you make one of your own!

Emily's 30 Before 30
1.      Work or intern for a publishing company

2.      Make and keep 10 new friends

3.      Find and keep a good man

4.      Write a nonfiction essay I’m proud of

5.      Get said essay published in a literary magazine

6.      Place in a writing contest

7.      Learn to play guitar tablature

8.      Learn to play bar chords

9.      Take the GRE

10.  Take a road trip with friends

11.  Volunteer again

12.  Go to India for at least a week

13.  Go to an Iron & Wine concert

14.  Go to a Fleet Foxes concert

15.  Read 100 books I've never read before

16.  See the Sistine Chapel in person

17.  Sing a complete solo in front of a group of at least 100 people

18.  Take a hip-hop dance class

19.  Watch all of Audrey Hepburn’s movies

20.  Relearn some piano

21.  Run a 5k

22.  Complete and successfully adhere to a budget

23.  Make an edible pie from scratch

24.  Visit someone/people in my dad’s family

25.  Visit my godmother in Dallas

26.  Buy something really nice for my parents

27.  Make 30 mixed CDs to give as gifts

28.  Correspond in some way with Rob Sheffield

29.  Ride on a plane by myself

30.  Feel infinite

3 comments:

  1. I will completely volunteer somewhere with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily! Love your list. So funny you have Rob Sheffield on there. Ivy was a huge fan growing up and we both loved Love is Mixed Tape. A few years ago Ivy ran into him a Hold Steady concert in New York and talked to him for awhile, told him all about his girlfriend from SW Va. He said he was really nice guy and he still carries the business card he gave him in his wallet :)

    Also, if you are ever interested in said internship/job at a publishing co in NYC let me know. I have some friends who do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiration! I made my list, too. You can see it here: http://maggieebeth.blogspot.com/2011/05/thirty-by-30.html

    ReplyDelete